Q: What are the options to travel from Girona Airport to Barcelona?
A: Girona Airport is 103 km or 64 miles from Barcelona city centre or approximately 1 hour 30 minutes by car. Therefore, it is worth taking that into consideration when deciding whether to fly into Girona airport, rather than into the much closer Barcelona Airport (El Prat de Llobregat or Aeropuerto de Barcelona).
It is also important to note that Girona Airport is not situated in the city of Girona. Therefore, if you choose to take a train from Girona, it will first be necessary to get to Girona city centre via taxi or bus.
If you click on the markers on the map below you will see the exact locations for Girona Airport, Girona centre and Barcelona centre.
For those travelling on Ryan Air flights:
- Many international flights to Girona Airport are bringing in passengers who wish to visit Barcelona and one of the popular airline carriers for these types of flights is Ryan Air.
- The easiest and cheapest way to travel to Barcelona city centre is on the Barcelona Bus. These buses coincide with Ryan Air flights and are organised by a company called Sagalés.
- The bus takes passengers to Estacio d'Autobuses Barcelona Nord. The closest Metro from the bus station in Barcelona is Arc de Triomf (Red Line, L1)
- A return ticket on the Barcelona Bus costs €25.00. Tickets can be purchased from the Sagalés booth at Girona airport.
For those travelling on flights with other airlines (BMI, City flyer, FlyGlobespan, Iberia, Jetair, Monarch, Thomas Cook, Wizz Air):
- Check the time of arrival of you flight. It may coincide with the departure of the Barcelona Bus.
- If there are no buses coinciding with your flight arrival time you can take the train from Girona city centre to Barcelona. You will need to take a taxi or a bus to Girona city centre.
- Alternatively, you can take a taxi from Girona airport to Barcelona city centre, This will take approximately 1 hour 30 minutes and will cost around €120.00. This is a more viable option for groups of up to 4 who can share the taxi price.
- There is also the option to hire a car to drive into Barcelona city centre.
This answer gives an overview to the main transport options. For further and more detailed information see our page on Transport Options from Girona Airport to Barcelona.