This page explains what is the EU Ditigal COVID Certificate. We also explain how and where to get your EU Digital COVID certificate for an antigen or PCR test done in Barcelona and which test centres in Barcelona are accredited to issue EU Digital COVID Certificates for antigen and PCR tests. At the end of the page we've added more information about the Certificate and listed all the frequently asked questions regarding the EU Digital COVID Certificates.
We've also included a booking link for you to book your appointment for your antigen or PCR test at a test centre in Barcelona that is accredited to issue EU Digital COVID Certificates.
What is the EU Digital COVID Certificate?
Question: What is the EU Digital COVID Certificate (EUDCC)?
Answer: The EU Digital COVID certificate is an initiative launched by the EU on the 01st July 2021 to streamline the processing of travel documents associated with showing that you are COVID-19 safe to travel within the EU, Switzerland, and the EEA.
EU Countries include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
EEA Countries includes: Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Iceland.
Switzerland, Vatican City and San Marino are neither an EU country or an EEA country however they are included in the EU Digital COVID Certificate program.
Although the program was officially launched on 01st July 2021 it could take several weeks for all countries to fully implement the system.
|EU Digital COVID Certificate issued in Spain for a negative antigen test|
The three types of COVID status information that can be stored on the document are:
1. To show you have been fully vaccinated by an EU approved vaccine and that the vaccination was completed at least 14 days before your travel. In that case, you'll have a EU Digital COVID Certificate of vaccination.
2. To show you have a valid negative COVID-19 test certificate (if you have not been vaccinated). In that case, you'll have a EU Digital COVID Certificate of a negative antigen or PCR test.
3. To show that you have had COVID-19 but have recovered from it. In that case, you'll have a EU Digital COVID Certificate of recovery.
You'll get a different EU Digital COVID Certificate for each status. E.g.: If you get vaccinated, you'll get a EU Digital COVID Certificate of vaccination, if you get a negative COVID test, you'll get a EU Digital COVID Certificate of a negative COVID test, if you recovered from COVID, you'll get a EU Digital COVID Certificate of recovery.
The certificate will also store your name, date of birth and the date the certificate was issued. There will also be a unique reference code.
Make sure to check the validity of your EU Digital COVID Certificate before using it:
- EU Digital COVID Certificates of vaccination are valid for travel from the day after you received the first dose of your single dose vaccine or the second dose of your 2-dose vaccine.
- EU Digital COVID Certificates of a negative COVID test are valid for travel if your PCR test was made 72 hours within your departure time or your arrival time in your country of destination or if your antigen test was made 48 hours within within your departure time or your arrival time in your country of destination.
- EU Digital COVID Certificates of recovery are valid during 180 days.
Question: What vaccinations can be stored on the EU Digital COVID certificate?
Answer: EU approved vaccines only can be stored on the EUDCC.
Question: What is the difference between the EU Digital Green Certificate and the EU Digital COVID-19 Certificate?
Answer: There is no difference. They are the same document. This document is also sometimes referred to by the “EU vaccine passport” however this is not completely accurate because the EU digital certificate also stores information on whether you had a negative COVID-19 test or if you have recovered from the coronavirus and therefore have natural immunity.
How can i get a EU Digital COVID Certificate for an antigen test or a PCR test done in Barcelona?
If you’re a European citizen, even if you’re not a Spanish citizen or a Spanish resident, you can get a EU Covid Digital Certificate for your antigen test or your PCR test done in Barcelona if you get tested at a test centre that is accredited for EU COVID Digital Certificates by the Catalan Health Entity, called Cat Salut. The testing centres indicated in the tables below are accredited by the Catalan Health Entity -Cat Salut- to report your antigen tests results or your PCR tests results to Cat Salut so that you get your EU COVID Digital Certificate.
Note that test centres can still issue antigen or PCR test certificates that are FIT-TO-FLY and valid for travel even if they are not accredited by Cat Salut. So if you do not need a EU Digital COVID Certificate, you can get tested at any medical centre that issues FIT-TO-FLY and valid for travel test certificates. However, if you want to get a EU Digital COVID Certificate for your PCR or antigen test, in addition to the FIT-TO-FLY and valid for travel test certificate issued by the test centre, you'll need to get tested at a test centre that is accredited by Cat Salut for EU Digital COVID Certificates. The testing centres listed below are accredited by Cat Salut for EU Digital COVID Certificates.
2 ways for getting your EU Digital COVID Certificate for your antigen or PCR test in Barcelona
There are 2 ways for getting your EU Digital COVID Certificate:
1. You can issue your own EU Digital COVID Certificate from the Cat Salut website.
2. You can pay a small adminitration fee at the test centre for the test centre to issue your EU Digital COVID Certificate and deal with any issue that may arise during the issuing process.
1) Issuing your EU Digital COVID Certificate on your own
You can issue your own EU Digital COVID Certificate from the Cat Salut website -we explain to you how to do this further down on this page- however we recommend you pay a small administration fee at the testing centre for the testing centre to do it for you, for a hassle and stress-fee experience. The reasons why we recommend this are:
1. The Cat Salut website is only available in English, Spanish or Catalan. If you do not speak any of these langages, the process to issue your EU Digital COVID Certificate won't be straightforward.
2. The test centres usually report to Cat Salut the results of antigen or PCR tests once a day, however there is not a fixed time at which they’re requested to report the results, which means you might have to try to download your EU Digital COVID Certificate several times until your results are eventually reported by the test centres to Cat Salut, which can be time consuming, frustrating and stressing if you don't manage to get your Certificate after several attempts.
3. To issue your EU Digital COVID Certificate from the Cat Salut website you'll need to get a verification code to your mobile phone. The SMS will be automatically sent to the phone number you provide at the test centre before getting tested. We've been told by one of the test centres that it happens that the SMS notification doesn’t arrive to non Spanish mobile phone numbers. Cat Salut themselves told us the notifications work on any number, but with international phone numbers you never know. In addition, you won't be able to enter an alternative mobile phone number in case you do not receive any SMS when you're in the middle of the issuing process. In case you do not get the SMS with the verification code, you won’t be able to move forward with the process and you won’t be able to get your EU Digital Covid Certificate, which might be very annoying especially if you absolutely need a EU Digital Covid Certificate. At that stage, it will be too late to get the help from the testing centre.
4. The test centres usually only report to Cat Salut the antigen and PCR test resuls of European citizens. If you're a non EU citizen but still want to get a EU Digital COVID Certificate for you antigen or PCR test done in Barcelona, you won't be able to get your EU Digital COVID Certificate unless you specifically request it at the test centre so that they manually report your results to Cat Salut by paying the small administration fee.
5. You never know if the Cat Salut platform will work fine or if they will be any unexpected issue during the EU Digital COVID Certificate issuing process. What will you do if you face an issue? If you've requested the test centre to take care of your EU Digital COVID Certificate for you, they will take care of resolving any issue and in getting your EU Digital COVID Certificate.
2) Having the test centre issuing and sending you your EU Digital COVID Certificate
Administration fee for this service provided by the testing centre: €10.00
The administration service provided by the test centre includes the following and the fee will need to be paid directly at the test centre:
1. Downloading your EU Covid Digital Certificate for you, so that you’re sure you won’t have to check Cat Salut website several times a day and face any unexpected issue during the issuing process.
2. For antigen tests, the test centre will manually report your rapid antigen test results to Cat Salut right after your got your antigen test so that you can get your EU Covid Digital Certificate printed and hand delivered at the medical centre, 15 to 20 minutes after you got tested. Getting your printed EU Covid Digital Certificate can be particularly useful if you do not have a printer at hand, which is the case of most travellers. You’ll leave the test center with your EU Digital COVID Certificate for your antigen test knowing you’ve got your Certificate and you’ve got nothing else to take care of or worry about.
3. Sending your EU Covid Digital Certificate of your antigen test or your PCR test to your email as soon as your EU Covid Digital Certificate is available.
For antigen tests, as explained above, the test centre will print out a copy for you in addition to sending your Certificate by email. Receiving your Certificate to your email too will enable you to have a safe copy in your inbox in case anything happens to your printed EU Covid Digital Certificate. It’s also very handy to get your EU Covid Digital Certificate in your mobile so you can just show it from there when a mobile version if your EU Covid Digital Certificate is accepted.
Test centres in Barcelona that are accredited for EU Digital COVID Certificates
In the tables below you'll find test centres that are accredited for EU Digital COVID Certificates by the Catalan Health Entity called Cat Salut.
The prices shown in the table are the standard prices you would pay at the testing centre for an antigen or a PCR test however we have secured discounts for you that are marked in the table below.
If you want the test centre to take care of your EU Digital COVID Certificate for you, you'll need to add the amount of the small administration fee on top of the discount price of your antigen test or your PCR test. You will find more information about the testing centre on the detailed information page of the testing centre once you click on the "Click to book your test at this clinic" in the tables below.
The test centres listed below are also open on public holidays during the same hours unless otherwise stated on the table below.
For antigen tests (nasal or saliva antigen tests):
Note that all the rapid antigen tests listed on the table below are lateral flow antigen tests, which are valid for travel (including for travel to the UK).
Appt: Appointment needed
Payment not required upon booking
Testing centre area
Results Delivery Time and Price
Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00 (Appt)
Special discount with our voucher
EU COVID Digital Certificate available
(Blue Line, L5) and (Purple Line, L2)
For PCR tests (nasal or saliva PCR tests):
Appt: Appointment needed
Payment not required upon booking
Results Delivery Time and Price
Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00 (Appt)
Special discount with our voucher
(Blue Line, L5) and
(Purple Line, L2)
How to download your EU Covid Digital Certificate from the Cat Salut Website on your own
If you prefer to download your EU Covid Digital Certificate from the Cat Salut website on your own, follow these steps :
1. Go to the Cat Salut website and change the language to English by clicking on ‘Anglès’ or to Spanish by clicking on ‘Castellà’ at the top right hand side corner.
2. Click on ‘DNI, NIE or Passport’, enter the identity document number that you provided at the test centre to get your antigen test, click on ‘I’m not a robot’ and then click on the ‘OK’ button.
A SMS will be send to the phone number you provided at the testing centre to get your antigen test with a verification code that you’ll need to enter on the next step.
3. Enter the verification code you received by SMS and click on the ‘Request Certificate’ button.
4. Click on ‘Download certificate’ that shows below the QR code of your EU Digital Covid Certificate.
5. Save your EU Digital Covid Certificate on your desktop or mobile phone and print it in case you need a printed version EU Digital Covid Certificate.
In case you get any issue during the download process, the test centre won't be able to assist you at that stage.
Additional information on the EU Digital COVID Certificate
Question: Who can apply for the EU digital COVID Certificate?
Answer: Any EU citizen can apply to receive the EU Digital COVID Certificate and those within the EEA. In addition non EU Citizens, that are legally allowed to reside in the EU, can also apply for the certificate.
Question: Is it compulsory to have a EU digital COVID certificate to travel within the EU?
Answer: It is not compulsory to have the EU Digital COVID certificate to travel within the EU. However the advantage of getting the certificate is that it will significantly streamline your ability to travel within the EU. If you don’t have the EU Digital COVID certificate it could take longer to process your paperwork when arriving in your destination country or they could implement more procedures for those that do not have the certificate – this could lead to more time required to clear through customs and boarder control points.
Question: How do I get a EU Digital COVID Certificate?
Answer: Each country has its own government-operated public medical service. In each autonomous region of Spain there is a different public medical service that you will need to contact. The link below will show you a map of Spain for each autonomous area. Click on the region of the map that is in your area to see the public medical centre issuing the EU Digital Covid Certificates. Some countries will automatically send out the EU Digital COVID certificate by email after you have received your vaccination. If you do not receive your EU Digital COVID certificate after your final vaccination you should visit the website for the health centre that is issuing EU Digital COVID certificates.
Question: I don’t have a smartphone, can I still benefit from having the EU Digital Covid Certificate?
Answer: Yes, you may be able to also get a printed version of the certificate however the procedure for obtaining this will be different for each public health primary care centre. You would need to refer to your public health centre to find out how you can get your printed copy. It may be that you will have to login to the public health centre website and you can then download and print your certificate.
Question: How does the EU Digital COVID certificate work?
Answer: The EU digital certificate can be downloaded onto an health app for your smartphone operated by the public health service. The certificate will have a QR code on the certificate which makes it easy for it to be scanned border control check points.
Question: I have had my vaccine how do I get it registered on the Digital COVID Certificate?
Answer: You will either be automatically sent instructions on how to obtain your Digital COVID Certificate after your vaccination, or, alternatively you may need to make a request for it at the regional health centre responsible for issuing Digital COVID Certificates.
Question: I have recovered from COVID-19 how can I get my status of recovered registered on the EU Digital Covid Certificate?
Answer: You would need to show both a positive test for COVID and then a subsequent Negative test for COVID-19. You will need to consult your regional health centre to find out how to load these test results onto our Digital COVID certificate.
Question: I have not been vaccinated and I have not recovered from an infection from COVID-19 is the EU Digital Certificate of any value to me?
Answer: Yes, because you can load up your negative COVID-19 test results on to your EU Digital COVID Certificate which will make it much easier and quicker for boarder controls to check your negative certificate is valid.
Question: How do I load up my negative COVID-19 test results onto the EU Digital COVID certificate?
Answer: Check with your local health authority how you can load up your COVID negative test results to your Digital COVID Certificate.
Question: How much does it cost to obtain the EU Digital COVID Certificate?
Answer: The EU digital COVID Certificate is issued free of charge.
Question: Is the UK part of the EU Digital COVID Certificate?
Answer: No, the UK left the EU and is therefore not part of the EU Digital COVID Certificate program. However the UK is running a similar scheme called the NHS COVID PASS. You can find more details about the NHS COVID PASS by following the links below:
Question: If I have the EU Digital COVID pass do I still need to complete the Spanish Travel Health form?
Answer: Yes, you will still need to complete the Spanish Health Form. Follow the instructions on the Spanish Travel Health website
Question: How long is the EU Digital COVID Certificate valid for, to travel to Barcelona, Spain ?
Answer: It depends on whether your EU Digital COVID Certificate is a vaccination certificate, a negative COVID test certificate or a recovery certificate. If your EU Green Digital Certificate shows you’ve been vaccinated, it is valid from 14 days after you’ve been fully vaccinated until 1 year after. For 2 shots vaccine, the vaccination is considered as full or complete once the 2 shots have been administrated and the 1 year validity is calculated based on the date of your second shot. If your EU Green Digital Certificate shows you had a negative COVID test certificate, it is valid for a COVID test taken within 48 hours of your arrival to Spain.. COVID tests accepted: NAAT tests, e.g.: RT-PCR tests, RT-LAMP tests, TMA and rapid antigen tests. If your EU Green Digital Certificate shows your recovered from COVID, it is valid from day 11 after your first positive NAAT test result and up to 180 days, which equals to approximately 6 months.
Question: How can I arrange to be vaccinated in Barcelona, Spain?
Answer: You can arrange for an appointment to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by visiting the link below
Question: Where can I find out more about the Digital Green Certificate program?
Answer: Follow the link below for more information on the EUDCC:
Recent questions on the EU Digital COVID Certificate
Q. I'll be entering Spain with a EU Digital Green Certificate. Does the certificate need to be written in Spanish?
A. According to the European Commission website, the EU Digital COVID certificates issued by any EU member state are valid for travel within all EU member states.
Your EU Digital COVID certificate will be issued in the language of the country where you requested it and in English and does need to be translated to any other language.
Q: I recently got fully vaccinated and got my EU Digital COVID Certificate. Is my EU Digital COVID Certificate immediately valid to fly to Barcelona or will it only become valid to enter Spain 2 weeks after the second vaccination ?
A: Your EU Digital COVID Certificate will be valid to enter Spain 14 days after being fully vaccinated, ie : 14 days after having received the unique shot of your one-shot vaccine or 14 days after having received the second shot of your 2-shot vaccine.