Q: Is there a lab open during the weekend to get an antigen test or a PCR test for travel in Barcelona?
A: Yes, there are labs in Barcelona open both Saturday and Sunday during the weekend for you to get your antigen test or your PCR test for travel and obtain your PCR test travel certificate in time for your trip from Barcelona.
Important note: you need to pay very close attention to the opening hours and the conditions for getting tested at the weekend because some testing centres only have limited operating hours (e.g. half a day). Some labs also make it a requirement that you contact them in advance via phone or WhatsApp to make an appointment for a test at the weekend even if you have made a prior reservation online. In addition it is recommended to call the test centre to make the appointment at least one or two days before the weekend. If you have made a booking with one of our online forms you must also give them your voucher reference number when you call them. Many labs are also reaching capacity for testing so it is advisable to make sure to arrange in advance your test. We have indicated the exact conditions required for getting tested at the weekends, so make sure you carefully read these conditions otherwise you might turn up to the testing centre and not be able to get tested even if you have made an online reservation.
Avoid the long queues at private clinics. Get tested where you are.
COVID Testing at Your Accommodation
|Test Delivered to You|
|Results in 24 hours|
|Fit to Fly Certificate|
|PCR or Antigen test|
At the bottom of the page we provide links to book your antigen test or your PCR test at the weekend.
Before you get your test for coronavirus we recommend you to check our recommendations below to calculate the earliest and latest time to get your COVID test before your trip and to learn about other factors you should consider when booking your antigen or your PCR test for travel in Barcelona.
1. Check the authorized time period during which you can get tested before your departure or arrival to your country of destination. Check if that period of time is based on your departure time or on your arrival time to your country of destination. Based on that, you can calculate the earliest time you can get tested in Barcelona. So, to be clear, now it is not just the date you need to get right for your COVID test but also the time.
E.g. From the France Diplomacy official website it states that to enter France you need to get a PCR test within the 72 hours prior to your departure time to France while from the Irish government website it states that to enter Ireland you will need to get a PCR test within the 72 hours prior to your arrival time in Ireland.
For a flight departure at 14:00 and an arrival at 16:00, if you travel to France from Barcelona you’ll need to get tested no earlier than 14:00 3 days before. If, however, you travel to Ireland from Barcelona, which also has an arrival time of 16:00 in Ireland you’ll need to get tested no earlier than 16:00 3 days before your flight.
We’ve heard that authorities can be quite strict on the time and date of your COVID test so we strongly recommend you do your calculations right to avoid any stressful situation at the airport.
2. Check the specific test requirements of your country of destination. In some countries like UK, rapid antigen tests and PCR tests are accepted to travel. When antigen tests are accepted, you might want to take an antigen test to save money as in Barcelona, antigen tests are 2 to 3 times cheaper than PCR tests. The UK also has requirements for the specificity of the COVID test and the labs that we have recommended all meet the UK required specificity for COVID test travel certificates.
Click here to compare the prices of an antigen test vs a PCR test in Barcelona and to view the specificity of each test on our dedicated page.
3. Check the opening times of the laboratory / testing centre where you want to get tested in Barcelona and compare it with the accepted time range for COVID tests by your country of destination. Some labs are only open in the morning while some others are open all day long.
The time at which you’ll get your antigen or PCR test for travel will be indicated on your test travel certificate so you will want to make sure you won’t get your antigen or PCR test too early in the day.
Click here to check the opening times of private labs for COVID tests in Barcelona on our dedicated pages. Some laboratories are only open on Saturday morning while other are open all day on Saturday and Sunday and are even open at night and very early in the morning, for PCR and antigen tests.
4. Check the test result delivery period of your lab. Some laboratories of Barcelona deliver the test travel certificate within 48 hours of the test maximum while other labs deliver PCR travel test results in 2 hours maximum after the test. Make your calculations in regards to the latest time you can get tested to get your test travel certificate on time to take your flight.
You might be requested to show your test certificate results before boarding so make sure you have your negative coronavirus test results before you head to the airport.
Click here to check to check the PCR test result certificates delivery period of labs in Barcelona on our dedicated page about COVID tests certificates for travel. We have also indicated the delivery period of the test results below on this page.
If your country of destination accepts rapid antigen tests, go to the bottom of this page to book your antigen test and get your antigen test travel certificate delivered 15 minutes after you got tested.
5. If you do not follow our lab recommendations and want to book with a different lab make sure the test certificates of the lab where you want to get your COVID test are FIT-TO-FLY or fit for travel test certificates. Some countries like the UK request FIT-TO-FLY COVID tests that meet certain specificity standards.
The test results of the labs we recommend on our dedicated page and below on this page are FIT-TO-FLY travel test certificates and we have indicated the specificity of each test.
6. If, after following our recommendations above, you got the confirmation that you need to get your COVID test done during the weekend, click on the buttons below to book your antigen test or your PCR test for travel in Barcelona. As explained above, please make sure to check the specific test requirements of your country of destination. Some countries accept negative antigen tests, while some other countries request negative PCR tests.
Our recommendations: When to get your COVID-19 test?
We recommend you don’t get your test done exactly 72 hours before your departure or arrival time in your country of destination as in case of a flight delay your test might not be valid anymore.
We recommend you to get your test more than 48 hours before your departure or arrival time in your country of destination to make sure you’ll receive your test travel certificate on time before taking your flight. Remember that most of the labs deliver the test results within 48 hours maximum after the time you got tested. However a few labs in Barcelona provide urgent PCR test results within 2 to 24 hours after you got tested.
If you want to make sure to receive your test travel certificates as quickly as possible, we recommend you book your PCR test in Barcelona from the link below at the testing centres that deliver urgent travel test certificates.
How and where to get a COVID-19 PCR test in Barcelona
Likewise, you can book your antigen test from the link below and get your test certificate 15 to 20 minutes after your test at the clinic but remember to read carefully the operating hours and whether you also need to make an appointment.
How to Get your PCR test done on Saturday or Sunday in BarcelonaSeveral testing centres are open on Saturday and Sunday for PCR tests in Barcelona. You can view the opening days and times of different testing centres in Barcelona, by area, from the page below:
How and where to get a COVID-19 PCR test in Barcelona
How to get your Antigen test done on Saturday or Sunday in Barcelona
Several laboratories and medical centres are open on Saturday and Sunday for antigen tests in Barcelona. You can view the opening days and times of different testing centres in Barcelona, by area, from the following page:
How and where to get a COVID-19 antigen test in Barcelona