Latest update: 07 October 2022
Question: Is there a lab open during the weekend to get an antigen test or a PCR test for travel in Barcelona?
Answer: Yes, there are labs in Barcelona open both Saturday and Sunday during the weekend for you to get your antigen test or your PCR test for travel and obtain your COVID test travel certificate in time for your trip from Barcelona.
Important note: you need to pay very close attention to the opening hours and the conditions for getting tested at the weekend because some testing centres only have limited operating hours (e.g. half a day).
We highly recommend you book your test at least a few days in advance if you need to be tested at the weekend because Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday are the busiest days for testing and often the testing centres can reach capacity.
At the bottom of the page, we provide links to book your antigen test or your PCR test at the weekend.
Before you get your test for coronavirus, we recommend you check our recommendations below to calculate the earliest and latest time to get your COVID test before your trip and to learn about other factors you should consider when booking your antigen or your PCR test for travel in Barcelona.
1. Check the authorized time period during which you can get tested before your departure or arrival to your country of destination. Check if that period of time is based on your departure time or on your arrival time to your country of destination. Based on that, you can calculate the earliest time you can get tested in Barcelona. So, to be clear, now, it is not just the date you need to get right for your COVID test but also the time.
We’ve heard that authorities can be quite strict on the time and date of your COVID test so we strongly recommend you do your calculations right to avoid any stressful situation at the airport.
2. Check the specific test requirements of your country of destination. In some countries, rapid antigen tests and PCR tests are accepted to travel. When antigen tests are accepted, you might want to take an antigen test to save money as in Barcelona, antigen tests are 2 to 3 times cheaper than PCR tests.
Click here to compare the prices of an antigen test vs a PCR test in Barcelona and to view the specificity of each test on our dedicated page.
3. Check the opening times of the laboratory / testing centre where you want to get tested in Barcelona and compare it with the accepted time range for COVID tests by your country of destination.
The time at which you’ll get your antigen or PCR test for travel will be indicated on your test travel certificate, so you will want to make sure you won’t get your antigen or PCR test too early in the day.
Click here to check the opening times of private labs for COVID tests in Barcelona on our dedicated pages.
4. Check the test result delivery period of your lab. Some laboratories in Barcelona deliver the test travel certificate within 48 hours of the test maximum, while other labs deliver PCR travel test results in 2 hours maximum after the test. Make your calculations in regards to the latest time you can get tested to get your test travel certificate on time to take your flight.
You might be requested to show your test certificate results before boarding so make sure you have your negative coronavirus test results before you head to the airport.
Click here to check to check the PCR test result certificates delivery period of labs in Barcelona on our dedicated page about COVID tests certificates for travel. We have also indicated the delivery period of the test results below on this page.
If your country of destination accepts rapid antigen tests, go to the bottom of this page to book your antigen test and get your antigen test travel certificate delivered 15 minutes after you got tested.
5. If you do not follow our lab recommendations and want to book with a different lab, make sure the test certificates of the lab where you want to get your COVID test are FIT-TO-FLY or fit for travel test certificates. Some countries like the UK request FIT-TO-FLY COVID tests that meet certain specificity standards.
The test results of the labs we recommend on our dedicated page and below on this page areFIT-TO-FLY, FIT-TO-CRUISE (FIT-TO-SAIL) or FIT-TO-TRAVEL test result certificate (the COVID certificates required to travel on planes, cruises, ferries, trains etc) and we have indicated the specificity of each test.
6. If, after following our recommendations above, you got the confirmation that you need to get your COVID test done during the weekend, click on the links below to book your antigen test or your PCR test for travel in Barcelona. As explained above, please make sure to check the specific test requirements of your country of destination. Some countries accept negative antigen tests, while some other countries request negative PCR tests.
Our recommendations: When to get your COVID-19 test?
We recommend you don’t get your test done exactly at the maximum time limit accepted by your country of destination as in case of a flight delay your test might not be valid anymore.
You can book your antigen test from the link below and get your test certificate 15 to 20 minutes after your test at the clinic but remember to read carefully the operating hours and whether you also need to make an appointment.