Latest update: 28th of August
This page will cover the different aspects of a trip to Barcelona during Covid-19 times from transport from Barcelona Airport, public transportation in the city and hotels to the top tourist attractions, guided tours, flamenco shows, beaches, bars, restaurants and nightlife. You can still enjoy a wonderful visit to Barcelona during this time and it can be a good time to visit the city with fewer tourists means better deals, more personalised service and less time waiting in queues.
Barcelona is under the so-called "new normality" since the 19th of June 2020.
The Covid-19 situation is constantly monitored by the public authorities and new measures have been taken to limit possible outbreaks. The latest measures against the spread of the Covid-19 in Barcelona were taken on the 18th of August 2020.
All measures are available on the official website of the town hall of Barcelona: https://www.barcelona.cat/covid19/en
Wearing a face mask in Barcelona is compulsory from the age of 6 on public streets, outdoor and indoor spaces for public use and on public transport.
However wearing a face mask in Barcelona is not compulsory if you have a shortness of breath that a mask will exacerbate, a disability or a dependence that doesn’t allow you to wear a mask, when you are doing sports, eating or drinking, on the beach and in swimming pools.
A safety distance of 1.5 meters must be kept.
Washing your hands frequently is highly recommended.
Before planning a trip to Barcelona, we highly recommend that you refer to your government’s official Covid19 travel advice page.
Transport from Barcelona airport
All the transport options between Barcelona Airport and the city of Barcelona detailed in the article below are operating.
Barcelona Airport Transport and Transfer To The City Centre
Covid-19 safety measures have been put in places in all transport options.
Face masks are compulsory on all Barcelona public transport including the Metro, Trams, Trains and Buses, as well as the Aerobus and Taxis from Barcelona Airport.
If you prefer to avoid using the public transportation and avoid traveling with other people we recommend you to pre-book a taxi from Barcelona Airport. The taxi drivers wear a mask and the taxis are sanitized by the taxi drivers after each transfer.
How To Book Your Barcelona Taxi in Advance of Your Trip
Public Transportation in Barcelona
The metro, trains, buses operate as usual following the safety measures.
Bus tickets cannot be purchased to the bus drivers to limit contact.
During weekends, the metro closes at midnight.
Hotels in Barcelona
Many hotels have reopened their doors since June however many others haven’t reopened yet. Hotel occupancy in Barcelona is still low so you shouldn’t have any issue in finding a hotel that meets your requirements.
Hotels now have more flexible cancellation policies, make sure to check your hotel cancellation policy before booking.
Hotels are following strict disinfection, cleaning and safety measures. We recommend that you refer to your hotel Covid19 page to know more.
Tourist attractions in Barcelona
All museum and monuments in Barcelona are open and have adapted to the covid situation taking all the necessary safety measures for visitors and staff.
Some of the common safety measures include:
- Visitors must wear a face mask
- Visitors must keep a 1.5 meters safety distance when visiting the attractions.
- Cleaning and disinfection have been increased.
- Sanitizing gel dispensers are available in the museums and monuments.
- Paper brochures are no longer provided.
We recommend that you check the covid page of each attraction on their official website if you’d like to know more about the safety measures taken by each of them before your visit.
Below we will cover the main tourist attractions and the safety measures in place at each of them:
Sagrada Familia (Giant Gaudi Basilica)
The Sagrada Familia, Barcelona's no.1 tourist attraction, is currently only open on Saturday and Sunday until the end of September. Sagrada Familia tickets from October are not yet available.
Some of the Covid19 safety measures in the Sagrada Familia besides of the usual safety measures indicated above:
- Unique visit route inside the Basilica so that all visitors follow the same direction.
- Areas inside the Sagrada Familia where social distancing cannot be guaranteed such as the Sagrada Familia museum and the Sagrada Familia towers are momentarily closed.
- Indoor air renewal, disinfection and cleaning
During Covid-19 times you might feel more comfortable to visit the Sagrada Familia on your own instead of visiting with a guided group tour. Note that the Sagrada Familia tickets include an audioguide. Click on the link below to book your Sagrada Familia Tickets and know more on the Sagrada Familia.
La Sagrada Família Basilica by Antonio Gaudí
Park Guell is open within its usual opening hours and is open-air, which can bring you peace of mind if you don’t feel comfortable being in a closed space with other people.
Some of the Covid19 safety measures in the Park Guell besides of the usual safety measures indicated above:
- Safety distances must be kept even if the Park is an open space
- The capacity of the Park Monumental Area has been reduced
- The capacity of the most visited areas of the Park such as the Dragon Staircase is regulated to avoid crowds
During Covid-19 times you might feel more comfortable to visit the Park Guell on your own instead of visiting with a guided group tour. Click on the link below to book your Park Guell Tickets for the Park Guell Monumental Area and know more on the Park Guell.
Park Güell by Antoni Gaudí
La Pedrera (Casa Mila)
La Pedrera is open within its usual opening hours.
Some of the Covid19 safety measures at La Pedrera besides of the usual safety measures indicated above:
- The capacity has been reduced to avoid crowds and ensure the safety distances can be kept
- The temperature of all staff and visitors is checked at the entrance of La Pedrera
- Staff in contact with visitors will wear protective glasses or visors, face mask and gloves.
During Covid-19 times you might feel more comfortable to visit La Pedrera on your own instead of visiting with a guided group tour. Click on the link below to book your La Pedrera Tickets and know more on La Pedrera.
Casa Batllo is open within its usual opening hours.
Some of the Covid19 safety measures at Casa Batllo besides of the usual safety measures indicated above:
- The capacity has been reduced
- The temperature of visitors is measured at the entrance of Casa Batllo
- The shoes of visitors are disinfected at the entrance of Casa Batllo
- Installation of a plasma ionization system that guarantees 99.4% destruction rate of coronavirus (SARS-CoV2) in 30 minutes in the air, walls and ceiling materials inside Casa Batllo.
- Disinfection of the audioguides with ultraviolet light which effectively kills viruses and bacteria.
During Covid-19 times you might feel more comfortable to visit Casa Batllo on your own instead of visiting with a guided group tour. Click on the link below to book your Casa Batllo Tickets and know more about Casa Batllo.
Gaudí Casa Batlló in Barcelona
Casa Vicens by Gaudi
Casa Vicens is open within its usual opening hours.
Some of the Covid19 safety measures at Casa Vicens besides of the usual safety measures indicated above:
- Casa Vicens is the first museum of Barcelona that has obtained the Safe Tourism Certified seal by the Institute for Spanish Tourism Quality. The seal certifies maximum hygienic and sanitary guarantees.
- The capacity has been reduced to one third. Tickets can only be purchased online or by phone to ensure the capacity limitations.
- A disinfection mat has been installed at the entrance of Casa Vicens
- A unique tour itinerary has been created
- Touchscreens have been momentarily disabled
- Guided group tours are momentarily not operating
Click on the link below to book your Casa Vicens Tickets and know more on Casa Vicens.
Gaudí Casa Vicens in Barcelona
Camp Nou Experience
The Camp Nou Experience at Camp Nou Stadium is open within its usual opening hours.
The Camp Nou requires its visitors to follow the standard Covid-19 safety regulations such as keeping a safety distance of 2 meters, washing your hands, and do not do the Camp Nou Experience if you have symptoms like fever, cough or breathing difficulties.
Click on the link below to book your Camp Nou Experience Tickets and know more on the Camp Nou Experience.
Guide To The Barcelona FC Stadium Tour With Museum Visit
The attractions at Montserrat are open within their usual opening hours. The trains between Plaza España and Montserrat train station run normally as well as the rack railway and the cable car from the train station to the Montserrat Monastery.
Some of the Covid19 safety measures at Montserrat besides of the usual safety measures indicated above:
- Reducing capacity on board the Montserrat Rack Railway (‘Cremallera’) and the Montserrat Cable Car (‘Aeri’)
- Reducing the capacity in the Basilica of Montserrat, the Throne of the Virgin and other areas.
- Increased cleaning and disinfection of the indoor and outdoor areas of Montserrat.
The Montserrat guided tours are momentarily not operating. Some of them will start operating from mid September. Click on the link below to view Montserrat tours.
Montserrat Tours: Organized Tours from Barcelona to Montserrat Monastery in Catalonia, Spain
If you do not feel comfortable taking the public transportation or a group tour to Montserrat but still want to visit, we recommend you to book at taxi at your disposal for a half-day or a full-day trip to Montserrat. Click on the link below to book your Taxi.
How To Book Your Barcelona Taxi At Your Disposal To Tour The City of Barcelona and its Surroundings
Barcelona City Tours
The Barcelona Hop On Hop Off tours are momentarily not operating.
Many Barcelona daily group tours are momentarily not operating.
If you’d like to tour the city we recommend you to book a taxi at your disposal for the duration of your choice. Click on the link below to book your Taxi.
The Flamenco venues of Barcelona are momentarily closed.
Click on the link below to know more about Flamenco Shows in Barcelona.
Barcelona beaches are open. Bathing and sunbathing is allowed keeping a safety distance of 1.5 meters. You are not obliged to wear a face mask on the Barcelona beaches.
The capacity of the beaches of Barcelona has been reduced by 15%.
Capacity control measures are in place. When a beach is close to full capacity, the Police will close the access points to ensure the safety distance of 1.5 meters can be kept.
Showers, public toilets, rescue and first aid services at the beaches of Barcelona are open.
Bars & Restaurant
Bars and Restaurants of Barcelona are open and need to follow the following rules:
- Reduced capacity to 50%
- Maintain a safety distance of 1.5 meters between tables
- The maximum number of people around the same table is limited to 10
- Bars and restaurants have to close at 1am.
Discos, dance halls and party venues with shows or dance floors are closed.